Tuesday, December 29, 2009

My TDC vote for Best Song of the Decade

I posted the following, before realizing that this song is 17 years old!

My bad.

To wit;

"Those are great, they were catchy, they were very popular, and I also found myself enthralled by them, singing horribly along to them in the passing lane at eighty mph when they came on.

Musical Greatness, in our democratic republic, is assigned by popularity, and of course, record sales. But perhaps true Musical Greatness can be evaluated another way.

Here's an idea: by What Has Withstood the Test Of Time.

I propose "One" by U2, in my humble opinion.

Tidbit: The name U2 was once considered to have been a reference to Uranium, as in an ingredient in the construction of an atomic bomb, back when we were still living under that Cold War umbrella.

But it actually may have been meant to be inclusive of each of us to stand up to the powers that be, as in "You, Too."

"One" is their union of "You, Too," (us all); a culmination of their 30 years of making music about political stuff and trying to get the young involved.



My 2 cents."

Oh well. I then gave my next fave.

No comments: