Monday, December 14, 2009

I Brake For DIYers

When you know how to work on an automobile, it really makes you itch to have someone else do it for you. If you have the tools, the patience, and the ability to figure things out, (or a Chilton's guide, if you are doing anything remotely "specificational," then you will get your hands dirty.

Just don't breathe in the dust from the brakes.

Here are some pics of what I did today, an hour before dark, (early off from work).

I swear by these guys.


I've been to one place that gave me the wrong parts twice. Perhaps to convince me to let their guys in the garage bays do it for me. Their company name consists of three letters similar to RIP. As in RIP-OFF. The last straw was when they put my SUV up on a lift for an inspection, which is normal, but wouldn't let it back down until I agreed to let them do all the things they found wrong with it. I told them to fuck off and went into the bay and told that guy out there to put it back down.

I haven't been back since.

But these guys promise to deliver your parts for free at your garage if you need them to. I've never gotten the wrong part from them, either.




Always buy the new hardware kit, in any job you do. $20 for peace of mind is cheap. Mechanical parts in a vehicle tend to be subjected to tremendous amounts of heat and stress, especially in the braking system.



It helps to leave one brake system together while you work on the other, for reference. Taking a digital picture can help you too.



Good luck!



(Don't breathe in the dust)

No comments: